The Emotive Computing Lab at CU Boulder is looking for participants for a study of eye movements and brain activity during learning.
You are eligible to participate in this research study if you:
- are at least 16 years of age
- are a student (at a high school, college or university)
- are fluent in English
- are in good health
- have no history of seizures
- have normal or corrected-to-normal vision
- are proficient with computers
- have not previously taken part in the Online Learning study with our lab (check if unsure)
What does my participation entail?
The study requires one visit of between 2 and 3 hours to the lab on CU Boulder’s East Campus (1777 Exposition Drive, Boulder, CO 80309; see COVID-19 safety procedures below), plus one 30-minute follow-up questionnaire to be completed online.
The first visit will involve having your eye movements, physiological responses (e.g., heart rate), video of your face/upper body, and brain activity non-invasively recorded while you complete a computer-based reading task and answer several questionnaires. It will take approximately 2 to 3 hours, and you will be paid $20 per hour for a total of $40-60.
About a week later, you will complete a 30-minute online survey; upon completion you will receive an additional $10. Note that travel compensation is not provided.
If you are under 18, your parent or guardian will also need to provide consent.
What are the COVID-related safety procedures?
We will take utmost care to ensure your safety for the duration of the visit, with stringent procedures approved by CU administration.
- We provide masks, handwashing stations and temperature checks on arrival.
- All occupants of the building are required to wear a mask at all times.
- All equipment is sterilized between uses with medical-grade disinfectant.
- You will be alone in the testing room for most of the study (a researcher will run the session from an adjacent room, instructing you via video conference).
- Only six people will be in the facility at a time (43% of usual occupancy).
How will I get paid?
Payment will be via an Amazon gift card.
What are the next steps?
If you are interested in participating, please sign up online. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Thank you for your time,
The Emotive Computing Lab