Do you post events on the campus events calendar? The tool is updated with the following new features:
- The new “experience” field allows you to mark the event as virtual. Selecting virtual will present additional fields for entering dial-in instructions, a livestream URL and/or livestream embed code.
- In the “status” field, you can mark an event as live, canceled, postponed or sold out. When an event status is changed to canceled, for example, the cancellation is automatically indicated in the event title, so you do not have to manually make the edit.
Additionally, as a security best practice, Zoom meeting links should not be posted in calendar events unless the Zoom meeting has security settings suggested by OIT. The recommendation is to have interested participants register in advance to receive the Zoom meeting link. (Web Express users can create a webform to set up an event registration.)
Additional pointers on virtual events
- Any public-facing virtual event should include closed captioning to align with campus policies (PDF) (see section 4, page 3).
- If you need help with coordinating captioning, explore OIT’s “request captioning” info.
- If you are using Zoom, you can also visit Zoom’s closed captioning third party integration information from Zoom page. You’ll need to get a Zoom webinar set up to use this functionality.